Are You Considering Sex Reassignment Surgery?
Sex reassignment surgery is a collection of surgical procedures which are commonly termed as ‘sex change’. The major reason behind undergoing this surgery is the gender identity disorder in which a biologically born man/woman identifies himself/herself as an opposite gender.
In order to deal with psychological and physical issues related to the problem, Sex Reassignment surgery is known to provide the desired results.
Who is a candidate for Sex Reassignment Surgery?
The requirements include:
- The patient should be over 18 years of age.
- They must have undergone at least a year of hormone therapy and/or antiandrogens.
- The patient should have been diagnosed with any of the following disorders: gender dysphoria, gender identity disorder, anxiety/depression related to the problem.
- Approval from a qualified psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist is recommended.
Gender Reassignment Surgery: Operative and Post Operative
The procedure will be performed by a trained surgeon and the patient will be under general anesthesia. And different procedures will be included in both male to female surgery and female to male surgery.
- The first step is the inversion of the penile skin and grafting a full thick skin.
- The creation of the vaginal canal and opening is carried out under the prostate gland and the urethral opening. The length and depth of the vaginal canal largely depend upon the full-thickness skin graft from the scrotum. Scrotal hair needs to be shaved for the same.
- A part of the head of the penis along with the nerves and vessels gets converted into the clitoris. And this helps to maintain the sensation and appearance of the clitoris.
- The removal of excess erectile tissue around the urethra is done so as to eliminate the chances of narrowing of the vaginal canal.
- The next step involves breast surgery, where there is a considerable enhancement of the patient’s breasts either by using fat from another part of the patient’s body or using breast implants. These implants are completely safe and can be modified to the patient’s needs.
- The first step is the removal of existing female organs – Hysterectomy (removal of the uterus), Vaginectomy (removal of the vagina) and Salpingo-oophorectomy (removal of the fallopian tubes and ovaries). Removing the ovaries stops the production of estrogen and makes the patient’s transition an achievable task.
- In the next step, new male organs are constructed which involves surgeries like Scrotoplasty (to create a scrotum) and Phalloplasty (to create a penis).
- Male chest reconstruction surgery, similar to gynecomastia, is performed to remove the breast tissues, including the milk ducts and provide shaping of a male contoured chest.
The main goal of male-to-female surgery is to construct the cosmetically acceptable and functional penis. Urethral reconstruction is one of the biggest challenges to surgeons.
Different types of flaps or grafts are created to construct penile skin and scrotal skin. Micro-vascular tissue transfer and local vascularized tissue reconstruction techniques are used. The most commonly used flap for the procedure is the radial forearm flap.
After the procedure, you will be prescribed medication to get rid of any pain or discomfort. Though in most of the cases the pain is mild and eventually subsides in a few hours. The surgeons will guide you about, how to take care of your new genital organs. The stitches made during the surgery will be removed after 5-7 days. And the patient will be discharged after that. It’s important for the patient to avoid any strenuous activity at the initial stage, including sexual indulgence, which may complicate the surgery.
The operative technique consists of the following steps:
- Removal of internal female organs, including ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus.
- Removal of vulva and vagina.
- Insertion of testicular implants and scrotoplasty.
- Reconstruction of the urethra using the graft from buccal mucosa.
- Glans reconstruction using free radial artery forearm flap.
- Implantation of inflatable or semirigid penile prosthesis.
- Urethral tubularization.
- Adding an aesthetically natural appearance.
Planning to get Gender Change Surgery in Chandigarh, India?
If you have been looking to seek more information on the male to female surgery or female to male surgery, you can look online for providers who are competent and accredited adequately.
TIPS has a team of highly experienced surgeons who are dedicated to provide desired results to the patients. If you have decided to undergo gender reassignment surgery, you should get in touch with TIPS right now, where we have surgeons specialized in sex reassignment surgery. Just fill in the contact form that is available online to seek a free consultation and we will get in touch with you. We assure you that all the communication between you and TIPS will be confidential.
Sex Reassignment Surgery cost in Chandigarh, India?
To find out Sex Reassignment Surgery cost in India, please visit our pricing section here.