What is the first thing you check when you’re in front of the mirror?
If you have answered “hair” then it’s the most common answer. Most people consider their hair as crowning glory and a symbol of beauty.
But what if you start seeing your hair strands here and there, clogging your bathroom sinks or on your pillow?
This can be considered as the first sign of hair loss.
But there is absolutely no need to panic. Hair fall among men and women is extremely common in India. A study conducted found out that around 58% of Indian men aged 25-50 suffered from various grades of alopecia (common name for hair loss).
So What Causes Hair Loss?
Some of the factors that cause hair loss are:
- Drugs used to treat high blood pressure, heart problem
- Thyroid disease or severe infection
- High level of Vitamin A
- Telogen Effluvium– condition where the hair falls out after a stressful experience.
Hair Loss Medications
Even though there’s no cure for male pattern baldness, there are over-the-counter, FDA approved medications that can slow down the hair loss.
- Rogaine: Rogaine is a topical solution that works in parts by enlarging the hair follicles. By enlarging the hair follicles, the hair becomes longer and thicker. The solution is directly applied on the scalp to slow the rate of hair loss and in some cases help grow new hair.
- Another medication used to treat male pattern baldness is Propecia. This prescription pill works by decreasing the amount of DHT (a hormone responsible for causing hair loss in men) in the body.
NOTE: While the medications are effective, the results may not be maintained if the treatment is discontinued.
Hair Transplant Procedure
During the hair transplant procedure, the doctor will remove the hair follicles from the back and side of your head. The removed hair follicles are transplanted to the top of the head.
Most of the side effects associated with hair transplant last for around 1-3 weeks. Some of the common side effects are:
- Swelling & Itching
- Inflammation of hair follicles
- Losing sensation around the surgical area
Does Hair Transplant Actually Work?
Hair transplant has more success rate than over -the-counter medications like Rogaine & Propecia. But people need to have realistic expectations before undergoing hair transplant.
- Around 20-80% of transplanted hair fully grows back in 4-6 months.
- Transplanted hair will thin over time.
- Sometimes the patient might be advised to undergo multiple hair transplants for the best results.
Hair Transplant Cost at TIPS in Chandigarh, India
The cost of hair transplant procedure at TIPS depends on the number of grafts to be transplanted. The more the number of grafts, the higher the cost. 1 graft usually has 2-4 hair strands and cost of transplanting 1 graft is around ₹30. In case the patient requires more than 3000 grafts, TIPS provides an additional 500 grafts free of charge. Visit TIPS at Sector 34A in Chandigarh for the best hair transplant procedure.
Hair Transplant of famous Punjabi singer Satti Satvinder was done at Tricity Institute of Plastic Surgery (TIPS). Check out the video where he shares his experience.