Gynecomastia is a condition which causes breast in men to enlarge or overdevelop. It is most common breast condition in males and affects around 40-60% of Indian men.
As discussed in the previous blog, the condition has also shown that it is major cause of anxiety and psychological discomfort among men.
But hiding from the problem can only make things worse for the mental health of the person. So it is recommended to consult a physician if you feel you have overdeveloped breasts.
Gynecomastia can be categorized based on severity:
Grade 1: very small enlargement without excess skin over the chest.
Grade 2: moderate enlargement with minor excess skin over the chest.
Grade 3: moderate enlargement with extra skin over chest.
Grade 4: marked enlargement with excess skin over chest, similar to female breast.
Who is good candidate for gynecomastia surgery?
- Men who are conscious about the feeling that their breasts are too large.
- Men who do not have life threatening illness.
- Nonsmokers and non-drug users.
- Healthy men with normal weight.
Questions you should ask your surgeon:
- Are you a board certified surgeon?
- How many years of experience do you have?
- How much time will it take to show the results?
- How long is the recover period?
- What are the risk associated with the procedure?
- How do you handle the complication, if any?
- Ask for the before and after pictures of the surgery.
Steps involved in gynecomastia procedure:
- The procedure is performed under local or general anesthesia.
- An incision is made under the lower half of areola.
- If the condition is because of excess fatty tissue, power assisted liposuction can be used to remove the excess fat after making the pre-operative markings.
- It involves usage of cannula which is moved back and forth which is then removed with the help of vacuum suction.
- Post-surgery the patient is recommended to wear compression garment for the period of 3-4 weeks for the skin to settle back.
The surgeon decides on which technique has to be used for the surgery- excisional or liposuction depending on the severity and the patient’s preference.
The results of the male breast reduction are immediately visible. And over the time, the scars as well as the incision lines from the surgery will fade away. The result from the surgery is immediately visible and if any swelling persists it also reduces over the time.
Overall, surgical treatment of the gynecomastia has always shown positive results with very few people reporting any major side-effects.
Check out some of the before and after images of the male breast reduction surgery performed at Tricity Institute of Plastic Surgery (TIPS):
How much does gynecomastia cost?
The average cost of male breast reduction is ₹65,000 at TIPS. Though the cost may vary depending on how much fat has to be removed, how much sculpting is needed and the kind of technology the surgeon is using.
Check out the video to see how breast reduction surgery is carried out at TIPS:
Planning to get male reduction surgery in Chandigarh, India?
Men suffering from enlarged breast can contact us at here. We at TIPS handle such cases with highest empathy. Any interaction between the patient and the doctor are treated as highly confidential.