“How long is the recovery process of Rhinoplasty?” The most frequently asked question by patients after they are done with their nose surgery.
“Most of the patients are eager to see the results of their Rhinoplasty surgery, but it is important for the patient to have realistic expectation about the recovery process and the amount of time it requires to recover.”
-Dr. Ankur Sood
So here are some of the tips to help you speed up the recovery process and get back to your regular life as soon as possible.
- Since there will be a lot of swelling after rhinoplasty surgery, it is recommended to sleep with your upper body raised. When you lie down, stack three or four pillows so that your head is higher than your heart.
- Avoid turning on your side or bending the neck while sleeping.
What to Avoid?
- Avoid food that involves a lot of chewing and jaw movements like apple, grapefruit, carrot or any kind of hard food.
- Do not drink alcoholic drinks, milk and acidic juice like orange.
- Spicy and salty food should be avoided as it can dilate the blood vessels resulting in increased swelling.
What to Eat?
- Include protein rich food in your diet which is essential for building the damaged tissue in and around the nose.
- Ensure your diet has plenty of Vitamin C.
- Include lots of fiber in your diet.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking lots of water.
- You should stick to light walking after the first 2 weeks of the surgery.
- Light exercise is possible 3-4 weeks after surgery with minimal bending.
- Strenuous workouts like weight lifting or swimming or anything that involves vigorous movements can increase pressure on the face and the nose area. This can result in swelling or in the worst-case scenario nose bleed. Hence it is advised that you wait at least 6-8 weeks before resuming the activity.
- Also, ensure that during the first 3 months following your rhinoplasty surgery, no physical pressure is applied to the nose.
- It is advised to avoid wearing glasses for at least 3-4 months. The reason being that the glasses rest on the bridge of the nose, which can reshape the structure of cartilage and misalign the bone and can ruin the final result.
- If possible, another alternative option would be to switch to contact lenses for a short period of time.
Washing Face & Wearing Makeup
- Do not come into contact with water before the splint and stitches are removed. If you feel like you really need to wash your face, then use a wet towel or a wet tissue to wipe the face without coming in contact with the surgical area.
- Also, avoid wearing makeup until your nose is completely healed. The use of makeup can increase the risk of infection.
- You can wash your face and apply makeup once the stitches are removed, but be careful not to rub or apply any kind of pressure surrounding the nose area.
Alcohol and Smoking
- Drinking alcoholic beverages and smoking is strictly prohibited for 2-3 months following the surgery as it can slow down the recovery process.
- The nicotine in the cigarettes can restrict the blood vessels and reduce blood flow while the alcohol can interfere with the medications.
- Therefore, in order to speed up the recovery process it is best to avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
- If you experience diarrhea or an allergic reaction following the use of medication, please contact your doctor.
- Do not take aspirin or vitamin E for 1 week following the surgery, as they can cause bleeding.
- Avoid staying out in the sun as it can create discoloration of the nose and increase the risk of complications.
- You should avoid touching or picking the inside of the nose for at least 3-4 weeks.
- The patient might occasionally experience difficulty in breathing due to vaseline gauze which is inside of the nose.
- It is advised to breathe through the mouth. This may cause the throat to become very dry and sore.
- Therefore, it is recommended to drink a lot of water and apply lip balm regularly during this time.
- The nose hair will be removed before surgery, which may cause the nose to run excessively.
When can I see my final results?
Rhinoplasty recovery takes time and is a gradual process. Do not be impatient. The final results can take somewhere between 6-8 months, sometimes also up to a year before the results are evident.
Note: Always follow your doctors’ instructions. Keep following up with the doctor to assess your recovery process on an ongoing process.
A well sculpted nose can certainly enhance your beauty and at The Tricity Insitute of Plastic Surgery we are committed to deliver the best results. Contact us at +91-172-2611126 to book an appointment today.